What Does a Criminal Defense Attorney Do?
Criminal Defense Attorneys wear many hats, from a counselor on the law with clients to advocating in court with the prosecutor and judge. Being charged with a crime or getting arrested is a scary experience that no one should go through alone. With the help of seasoned attorneys, including a Criminal Law Specialist, the attorneys at Long & Simmons law will be able to calm your anxiety and provide step-by-step guidance through confusing and complex legal systems that can be overwhelming. As a law firm with over 40 years of experience handling criminal cases, we know what it takes to develop winning strategies and achieve results for our clients. If you’ve asked yourself, “where is a criminal attorney near me” we can help.
What Does a Criminal Defense Attorney Do?
A criminal defense attorney advocates by representing individuals charged with a crime in court. They are trained to collect and analyze facts, evidence, discovery, and anything related to the case of the accused to prepare a winning defense to all allegations. When you work with a criminal defense attorney from our law firm, you will get a multifaceted individual with the following experience:
- Former prosecutors
- DNA analysis
- Forensic pathology
- Sexual assault examinations
- Injury and medical trauma
- Mental health
- Financial records
- Computer forensics
- Cell phone analysis
- Crime scene reconstruction
- Accident reconstruction
- Firearms and ballistics
- DUI laws & science
- Blood and Breath Testing
We not only have trial experience but are strong advocates with extensive backgrounds in criminal investigations. For this reason, we understand that each case is unique and work to meet each individual client’s needs. We’ve worked in almost every court in Arizona and have a thorough understanding of how the legal system works.
How to Choose a Criminal Defense Lawyer
When your life and future are on the line, having an experienced team in your corner can make a huge impact on your life. Depending on the circumstances, a criminal defense lawyer can help you and your family move on with your lives in peace. If you or a loved one need a criminal defense attorney, here are some things to keep in mind during your search:
- Needs – It’s important to assess your legal needs, no matter how small the charges may seem. Long & Simmons Law offers free initial consultations. By speaking with a criminal defense lawyer, they can determine the best course of action after assessing your case.
- Federal or State – Your case will determine whether you need a criminal defense lawyer with federal or state experience. Since laws vary and the court system can be complex, the best lawyer should have a good understanding of local state or federal laws that pertain to your case. This is especially important when dealing with drug-related offenses or sex crimes. Federal cases differ in that they relate to violations of federal laws. State cases typically deal with violations of local laws. The seasoned criminal defense attorneys at Long & Simmons handle cases at both the state and federal levels.
- Responsiveness – No matter which criminal defense lawyer you choose, they should be responsive to your needs and provide you with adequate information regarding your case. Building trusting relationships is a key part of what to look for in a criminal defense lawyer. The best way to build trust is through clear and open communication, and we take pride in making this a point of emphasis in our representation. At Long & Simmons, we are unique because our clients get our cell phone numbers. You will have direct access to your attorneys.
- Specialty – The attorneys at Long & Simmons Law are recognized by the State Bar of Arizona as Criminal Law Specialists and Death Penalty Certified that handle everything from DUIs to Homicide cases. You want a professional who focuses on solving your specific problem and winning your type of case.
- Experience – When it comes to criminal law, you want a criminal defense attorney who has significant experience handling cases like yours. The attorneys at Long & Simmons Law are former prosecutors who have an established reputation in the criminal law community. Our attorneys have worked on complex and nationally known cases and have the expertise necessary to obtain great results for clients.
- Sources – Simply asking friends and family, “Do you know a criminal lawyer near me?” can help start a word of mouth referral process that will help you gain traction on finding the criminal defense lawyer in the area. It also helps when you can obtain positive feedback from individuals who have worked with them before. Check reputable sources like the State Bar of Arizona to see if your attorney is a Criminal Law Specialist. A quick Google or Facebook search will reveal reviews from prior clients and business partners. This will give you a good idea of the kind of service you can expect.
- Knowledge – Asking simple questions about your case is a good starting point for how to find a criminal defense attorney. They should be able to quickly assess your case with the knowledge of basic criminal law. You should get a sense of their familiarity with the criminal justice system right away.
- Fees – How much does a criminal defense attorney cost? This is always one of the most challenging hurdles for hiring an attorney since they all have their own fee structures. In the case of a criminal defense lawyer, they should simply and clearly explain the fee structure upfront and provide an idea of what you can expect to pay. When they are finished, you should know your total costs and how they will bill you. The attorneys at Long & Simmons law will set up payment plans as we know that criminal charges often come unexpectedly.
- Gut – If you’re still wondering, “where is a criminal lawyer near me” after taking all these steps, it’s time to trust your gut instinct. You’ll have a pretty good idea of who would be the right fit for your criminal case. After following all of these steps, you will have assessed whether they have the desired qualities of courtroom confidence, applicable expertise, and the service mentality needed to take direction from you. Their enthusiasm for your case will determine whether they have enough interest in your case to conduct thorough investigations and fight for your best interests. They must be willing to dive headfirst into your case when providing guidance.
- Consultation – When you’ve decided on who you’d like to speak to, we recommend scheduling a consultation. Most attorneys provide a free consultation or assessment of your case. You’ll want to schedule a timely meeting depending on your case and when you are scheduled to appear in court. Having an attorney involved early allows for the foundation of a successful defense to be built.
Where is a Criminal Lawyer Near Me?
For Arizona criminal cases, you’ll want to know how to choose a dedicated criminal defense lawyer with a proven criminal case and trial experience with a track record of getting results for their clients. Wondering how much a criminal defense attorney costs shouldn’t hold you back from seeking legal counsel. We offer flexible and affordable payment options.
Our established firm is prepared to handle your criminal case with proven strategies, techniques, and a thorough understanding of the criminal justice system. We have distinguished ourselves as some of the most qualified and seasoned attorneys in Arizona. We have a State bar recognized criminal law specialist and an attorney authorized by the Supreme Court to lead death penalty cases on our team.
We are passionate criminal law professionals who take a personal and hands-on approach to achieve positive outcomes for our clients. Let us help you too.
Give us a call today for a free criminal case assessment to get started!